Equity, Diversity, Inclusion, and Accessibility - Action Plan 2021-2024
Important to Note: While we have considered the current rules surrounding inclusive writing, we want to acknowledge at the outset that this version is not entirely perfect. The Public Prosecution Service of Canada (PPSC) is a member of the Interdepartmental Terminology Committee on Equity, Diversity, and Inclusion (EDI), whose mandate is to co-develop and publish a terminology guide on EDI terms and concepts. Inclusive writing is constantly evolving, and we are committed to reviewing the PPSC Equity, Diversity, Inclusion, and Accessibility Action Plan to incorporate recommended practices proposed in the guide.
The PPSC is committed to an organizational culture change. To achieve this, we must work on a better understanding of each other, be intentional by striving to not create harm, to take anti-racism actions, and to be supportive of one another. Deepening our connections will allow us to co-create a workforce that is strongly anchored in the principles of equity, diversity, inclusion and accessibility. As we evolve, we will naturally build more courage to serve the Canadian society differently – more justly – through our daily prosecutorial work, and all decision-making. To do this, we must all work together and advance on these commitments.
Deepen authentic, respectful, transparent, and accountable relationships
- Strengthen PPSC's equity, diversity, inclusion, and accessibility (EDIA) governance.
- Promote EDIA learning initiatives.
- Strengthen resources for an inclusive workplace.
- Integrate EDIA communications.
- Hold leaders accountable for implementing the organization's EDIA vision and being role models.
Intentionally promote, recruit, and retain employees to reflect diverse perspectives
- Integrate EDIA into talent development, performance management, advancement, retention, and recruitment strategies.
- Establish promotion, recruitment, and retention targets for equity groups at all classification levels.
- Build trust and strengthen self-identification.
Integrate an intersectional lens in our prosecutorial work
- Review PPSC's prosecutorial policies and practices.
- Integrate EDIA principles to training and curriculum at the PPSC's School for Prosecutors.
- Support PPSC's response to the calls to action from the Truth and Reconciliation Commission of Canada Report and the National Inquiry into Missing and Murdered Indigenous Women and Girls.
- Engage and collaborate with investigative agencies and other stakeholders to address systemic discrimination of equity groups and the overrepresentation of racialized persons in the criminal justice system.
Equity, Diversity, Inclusion, and Accessibility Action Plan (Full Version) 2021-2024
- Date modified: